Techniques for Effective Phone-Email Communication
Customer Service Training
The ability of frontline and nursing staff to communicate effectively over the telephone and via email plays a critical role in patient satisfaction at UCLA Health. Techniques for Effective Communication by Telephone and Email is a half-day course that teaches practical skills for professional interpersonal communication. Participants will learn how to leverage their communication skills to develop rapport and establish trust with our patients and customers. This course addresses telephone and email etiquette, appropriate use of text messaging and social media in the workplace, and the basics of business correspondence. Participants will engage in activities pertaining to active listening, crafting professional emails, and effectively addressing upset or verbally abusive patients and customers.
- Apply the voice qualities and proper word choices that communicate professionalism over the telephone.
- Recognize words and phrases that could escalate an innocent communication into a problematic one.
- Apply call processing phrases and words that support CICARE.
- Identify techniques that improve call productivity.
- Examine methods that improve active listening ability.
- Demonstrate how to use assertive limit setting and enforcement with customers who are verbally abusive over the telephone.
- Apply the UCLA Health standards to craft a professional email.